Altitude and Altimeter


Altitude and Altimeter. As everyone knows, an altimeter is of utmost importance when flying. The pilot needs to know the altitude of the ground he's flying over. He needs to know the altitude of the surrounding hills and mountains, if flying in a mountainous region. He needs to know the altitude of any airplanes flying in the vicinity, and he obviously needs to know his own altitude. To do these things, the pilot checks his altimeter.

Our airplane, a kit-built, Vans RV7, has several instruments capable of reading altitude. One altimeter looks like the one at left. Although this type is old technology, often called a "steam gauge" instrument, it's on the instrument panel for redundancy. If the electronic gadgets hubby relies on for altitude readings were to give out, he could use this.

Otherwise, he mostly relies on the Dynon and the AvMap to give him altitude readings as well as a host of other necessary information. The electronic devices give a colored, moving map display. When flying near something higher than we are, those objects (mountains, usually :) ) turn red. Everything else is green.

Commercial airliners fly at an altitude of 35,000-40,000 feet, generally. They are pressurized, but if the jet were to lose cabin pressure, little oxygen masks would drop down to enable passengers to breathe at these high altitudes.

Our airplane is not pressurized, nor do we have supplemental oxygen masks. We can fly only to 12,000-14,500 feet, and only for a maximum of thirty minutes. Otherwise you suffer from hypoxia, oxygen deprivation, and will pass out.

The highest we've flown the RV7 was 11,000 feet, when we crossed the Rocky Mountains and then flew down into Great Falls, Montana.

During most of the year, we fly only a couple thousand feet above ground level. Our local terrain is 2400 feet, and so we seldom fly above 5000 feet. Summer air conditions--updrafts and downdrafts--cause turbulence. The higher you go, the smoother the ride, and so we generally fly a little higher in the summertime than during any other season. Even then, we seldom go above 8000 feet ... and to do all of this, you need to keep a steady eye on your altimeter readings.

Have you ever tried to keep an airplane at a steady altitude? Whenever hubby hands me the stick and asks me to keep the airplane at a certain altitude, I'm always surprised at how hard it is. In the blink of an eye, practically, you can lose, or gain, several hundred feet.




Comments

  1. I have been commercial planes, mostly. The info that you put actually told me a lot more than I ever knew about how an altimeter works. I was on a friend's four seater plane, and found that I don't really make a good passenger. At least the unused seat belt that was twisted into a corkscrew intimated that... Eeep.

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to you for taking the stick and flying the plane. I would never have the courage. I've only been in a small personal plane when I was younger, and it was an exciting trip. Now, I'd be really nervous. I prefer commercial flights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Altimeter, now I know....and SHOULD have known also having a pilot for husband, BUT didn't. I'm going to learn so much. Thanks so much for doing this, Cathy. I love your theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there - I'm also part of the A - Z Challenge. Interesting topic you have there. Good luck with the rest of the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so brave! I can barely board the commercial airlines, let alone step foot on a plane built from a kit. Although, these days, you probably are safer with your plane than on many others. You have a courageous heart (and so does your hubby). Enjoy the spring and hopefully good weather for flying. Happy blogging from A-Z! www.dianeweidenbenner.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too fun--better you than me trying to fly a plane.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting it must be to fly an airplane, and how brave you are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband flew in college. I tried to on one of those simulators at Dave & Busters. I know it isn't the same, but I couldn't even manage that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is interesting stuff, I never knew any of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never flown before must be something special.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

The Great A to Z Blogging Challenge 2014 Theme Reveal!

RV7 Flight: Palouse Falls and Steptoe Butte, Early December 2013

Contrail