Fixed-Base Operation


Fixed-Base Operation:

An F.B.O. is an airplane terminal for private aviation, as opposed to public aviation/transportation. It's always off to the side of an airport. If the airport has a tower (command center), the tower will verbally guide the private pilot over to the part of the airport that caters to private airplanes and jets.

At the F.B.O. you can buy AvGas, go inside to use the restroom, make flight plans, and/or rest for a while in the lounge. F.B.O.s often operate flight schools, where you can learn to fly!

The F.B.O. shown below is Holman Aviation in Great Falls, Montana. We stopped there last year on July 4, our way to Saskatchewan in the RV7. 

Holman Aviation was an exceptionally nice F.B.O.

Read more about our flight to Saskatchewan:

Flying Adventure, Saskatchewan, Part One
Flying Adventure, Saskatchewan, Part Two
Flying Adventure, Saskatchewan, Part Three


Have you ever hung out at a F.B.O.? They're usually busy places, with lots of flight instructors and student pilots, not to mention other pilots milling about, needing this and that ...



Comments

  1. We have two airports not too far from us that are exactly as you described. Very enjoyable, but I'm not ready to take on flying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to an FBO. But I have finally followed your blog. I can't believe I didn't do it before. Thanks for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. My great-uncle was an Alaskan bush pilot and I loved his stories.

    Beth
    http://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your posts about your flying adventure. I am an aviation fan. I often spend time at the local airport listening to my radio scanner and watching arriving and departing aircraft. I'd love to learn how to fly. I have a flight simulator program for my computer so I have to be content with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope never been to one of these, I'm sure
    they are fun and interesting.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow didn't know such places existed, let alone being to one. AZ teaches me new stuff everyday-- thanks for being my teacher today :)

    Damyanti, cohost, AZ challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our local FBO used to have a Christmas party every year for pilots and spouses. It was a lot of fun. I think you and Mike went to some too. It was a great way to meet people. But mostly I appreciate the facilities--when flying, those FBO bathrooms are like an oasis sometimes!
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that I have been to an FBO, in Illinois. It was a small airport, and I got to ride in a plane. I was terrified, but I also loved it. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

The Great A to Z Blogging Challenge 2014 Theme Reveal!

RV7 Flight: Palouse Falls and Steptoe Butte, Early December 2013

Contrail